Cannabidiol (CBD) for Dogs
CBD or cannabidiol has not only taken the human medical world by storm but is being used for many of the same ailments in our furry four-legged friends. Dogs have shown incredible results from the use of CBD for the same reason humans have, the endocannabinoids system (ESC). Getting a dog to eat CBD is easy when you bake it into a delicious, healthy dog treats!
*IMPORTANT* THC and Dogs
It’s important to mention before we get into baking dog treats that THC is the most abundant cannabinoid in cannabis. This intoxicating agent of the plant is highly dangerous for dogs to consume. These treats are intended to be CBD only, as THC can be lethal to dogs.
Can I make my own oil for these treats?
If you’ve followed our recipes for some time, we usually encourage you to create your own cannabis oil, however, this is not the case when it comes to dog treats. You need to purchase CBD only oil from a licensed producer, why? Licensed producers test their products to know exactly how much THC and CBD there is and they are the only ones who can guarantee that you are not going to be giving your dog oil that has THC in it.
Why would I give my dog CBD?
All mammals have the same ECS in their bodies, which means you can give your dog CBD for almost anything that you would give a human CBD for (to learn more about the endocannabinoid system visit our blog here).
Dosing your dog
*ust like with humans, plant-based medicine like CBD can interact very differently in each dog, there is no guarantee that CBD will provide relief. Each dog, depending on age, size, diet and a variety of other contributing factors will determine how much CBD will need to be given, and how often. We recommend starting with roughly 2 drops per treat, as this recipe makes roughly 30 treats that’s 60 drops of CBD oil. This is a rough estimation and depends on the percentage of CBD in your cannabis oil.
Some of the benefits could include;
- Pain relief or reduction
- Cancer/tumor prevention or reduction in size
- Reduced anxiety
- Helps reduce intensity and frequency seizures, tremors, and epilepsy
- Reduced inflammation
- Improves heart health
- Improves appetite
- Helps with bowel disease
Now that we’ve covered why you might want to give your pooch CBD, let’s get into a quick and easy DIY treat recipe that will make your life easy!
What you will need:
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cookie cutter
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- ⅔ cups of apple sauce
- ¼ cup peanut butter or any nut butter (but our pups seem to have a special love of peanut butter.)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups high-quality flour or flour substitute if allergies are a factor.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pure CBD oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Combine apple sauce, nut butter, egg, CBD oil and coconut oil (melted) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add baking soda and flour gradually. Mix until a stiff dough forms and the flour is just incorporated.
- Shape cookies. This is easily done by rolling the dough out and using a cookie cutter, or if you’d like simply break the dough up into balls, however, this is less consistent, which means your concentration of CBD will varying per treat.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake the treats for 15 mins, or until the sides are golden brown.
Can CBD hurt my dog?
CBD is considered safe in high quantities for both dogs and humans. As the non-intoxicating component of cannabis, you do not need to worry about increased paranoia or issues that may come from a dog being “stoned’. This allows you the liberty to play around with the dosing of your dog treats in different batches to see what works best for your furry friend.
We hope these CBD treats can bring relief to your beloved pet! Send us a message on our social media and tell us your pet transformation story, we’d love to hear how CBD has helped you, or your pet!